Welcome To Our Website
Genealogical Research In Anchorage, Alaska
Genealogical research is a little more challenging in the Great Land. We are hours - even days - away from anywhere else, our branch of the National Archives was moved to Seattle, and many of us have come here from other States and countries, leaving our ancestral roots far behind. Even "locals" and Native Alaskans face unique hurdles in researching past generations. AGS is committed to providing a supportive, educational, group for family historians and professional genealogists alike.
We meet on the Third Wednesday of the month, in the BP Energy Center at 900 E. Benson Blvd, from 7:00 pm. to 9:00 pm. The Energy Center is the smaller green building behind the BP Tower.) The Public is WELCOME!
Please see the "Events" tab for more information.
Local Resources in Anchorage
- The Anchorage Genealogical Society (AGS), with monthly meetings, and a friendly, knowledgeable group of people willing to share information and technical tips on research, and to offer support to others.
- An excellent Genealogical Section, and the Alaskan Room, on the 3rd floor of the Z. J. Loussac Library. Members may contact Nancy Farko ( firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information, or to volunteeer a few hours of your time. (Note: Librarians are unable to assist with genealogy beyond locating resources from their catalogue. https://www.muni.org/Departments/library/Pages/AnchoragePublicLibrary.aspx)
- A friendly LDS Family History Center. Experienced volunteers are on hand to assist with computers, microfilm/fiche and readers, and most major on-line genealogy resources. This service is available free of charge to the public. Church affiliation is not necessary. Call 907-277-8433 before you go. Open times vary depending on staffing.
- Informational Genealogy Classes - Free and open to the public classes covering a variety of genealogical topics are held every 4th Saturday, from Autumn to late Spring. Classes are held at the Family History Center, Institute Building, 2501 Maplewood Drive, Anchorage.
ANNUAL SPRING SEMINAR
AGS sponsors an annual all day seminar featuring nationally known speakers. Some of speakers in the past have included: "Dear Mrytle" or Pat Richley-Erickson; Meagan Smolenyak; Dan Lynch; D. Joshua Taylor, Geoff Rasmussen, J. Mark Lowe, Lisa Louise Cooke, Dick Eastman, and most recently, Maureen Taylor, "The Photo Detective."
Our Spring 2018 Seminar will feature Diahan Southard, an expert in the use of DNA in genealogical research. Seminar cost is USD $60, and includes light refreshments. This Seminar will be at Changepoint Church in the Denali Room. The address is: 6689 Changepoint Dr., Anchorage 99518. Take Minnesota Dr. to Raspberry to Changepoint Dr.
- Effective September 7, 2017, researchers can no longer order microfilms through FamilySearch. Full digitization is not expected for another 2-3 years.
04/18/2018 - 5:00 pm
NO BOARD MEETING IN APRIL
BP Energy Bldg., 900 E. Northern Lights Blvd., Anchorage
04/18/2018 - 7:00 pm
NO GENERAL MEETING IN APRIL
04/21/2018 - 9:00 am
AGS' Spring Seminar: DNA and Genealogy
Change Point Church, Denali Room